Thursday, September 22, 2005

In the Tragedy Business

I slept nearly 12 hours last night _ the makeup game for my nighttime carousing (see below). Erika gave me a free pass, so I headed for bed around 8:30 p.m. Woke up around 2 a.m. Read a little on the couch, then returned to the chamber for the second act. I only remember one dream _ in which I gave a pep talk to some Chicago Bears.

Ashamedly, I admit I am entranced by CNN's "'Cane Cam" (my term). I look up every few minutes to see if the path of the hammer has swung northward. I don't want anyone else to die or get hurt or go homeless. Yesterday's NYTDiNe section had a sad story on the horrible impact of the last storm on the city's restaurants.

So if we're all against human suffering and economic catastrophe, why is there a little weather map showing the hurricane's path on a constant loop? I think you know the answer.

No comments: