Monday, August 01, 2005

Thoughts on a Weathered Tree Stump


I've put the finishing touches on my poem. A poem? Well, as a twist, the members of our writing group switched genres for a session. Our three poets wrote plays, and I wrote a poem. I haven't written a poem since I was 21. In fact... Yes, I remember it! I was sitting deep in the woods of Glen Park in Williamsville, NY, next to Ellicott Creek. I had just graduated from college and wanted to continue my writing. In fact, I know I still have the poem. Later that year, I would write a story about a college grad who moves into a suburban park to live and write poetry _ unfinished, rough, but a joy whenever I open the file. My latest effort isn't going to revolutionize the artform, but, hey, you have to reach sometimes. I'm glad I did.

No comments: