Monday, July 11, 2005

The Recovering Narcissist's Reading List


It's the All-Star break and here are your halfway leaders. Yes, there's been a lot of baseball lately. I'm making a promise to Erika (and myself) to forsake sports literature and return to the gnashing, modernistic fare that made me famous. Hello "Absalom, Absalom!"

As a parting shot... I'm not one to over-sympathize with pro ballplayers, but it's a strange profession where a complete outsider can make a living off calling you a fraud for games played nearly 50 years ago. I'm talking about Bill James' assessment of Dodger great Don Drysdale.

He even hired an assistant to prove Drysdale wasn't Hall of Fame material. That time James saved on coffee runs really sealed the big righty's fate. In his defense, Drysdale was no Juan Marichal, but he made one helluva mocha latte.

No comments: