Thursday, June 30, 2005

A Hazy, Lazy Re-cap

Taking a trip to New Orleans and Southern Mississippi prepared me for the summer here. Our heat wave in Chicago feels like a pleasant Holiday Inn sauna, while the thermostat in the Big Easy is currently set to "Vietnamese Prison Camp."

I never thought I'd like Mississippi, but it turned out to be our favorite stop on the honeymoon. Southern people are friendly people _ particularly in a small town like Pass Christian, where we stayed. And you always have a conversation topic _ THE HEAT.

We rented a beautiful house for a few days in P.C. It was a writer's dream _ desks, big windows, silence. I'd go back in a second. I'd even live there. Life sprung from every little stream _ filled with fish and bugs. Cattle grazed lazily by the streetside.

New Orleans was interesting. Yes, that's vague. It had it's good points _ history, nightlife and the gorgeous Audubon Park _ but Erika and I felt relieved when we left. Lots of tourist traps. It's like Times Square, but with much more booze. Don't try the Hand Grenade, not matter what Ludacris says.

And the wedding? I've tried to resist shopworn phrases, but there's some truth to them. It did go by quickly. I wish I had more time to talk to old friends and family. But I believe most everyone had a great time. We had a great time. What more is there? I don't know.

No comments: